Saturday, November 28, 2009

Crazy Week & Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle

Design by Anne Taintor.

I tried this week, I really did... But "life is what happens when you're making other plans." Or as I like to call them, life's detours.

My son was sick last Sunday and on Monday I had to take him to the doctor. That morning I found out that one of the girls he played with the Friday prior had strep throat. I took him in to the doctor Monday afternoon and she confirmed it was strep. All I could do was get him started on antibiotics, but thankfully he wasn't running fever any more. The doctor said that if he wasn't running fever the next day he could go to school. Tuesday was the kids' last day of school before the holiday so I didn't really want him missing more school.

Monday was a challenge! I got a very late start to my day and I had to be at work for a meeting. After dropping of the kids late I was on my way to work when my friend called to tell me that her niece had strep. My husband was out of town for work until Wednesday so I had to figure things out on my own. Thank goodness for my mother-in-law who was able to pick up my son (he only infected others for a couple of hours) and thank goodness for my doctor's office who agreed to see him that same afternoon.

Tuesday I was able to send him off to school, but I faced some of my own personal challenges at work. Between the short week, a husband who was out of town for work, and a sick child I did not do any of the things I said I would. It's interesting. I did not log anything that I ate that week on livestrong.com and I know why I didn't. Since I knew how bad I was eating I didn't even bother logging anything. That's bad too because it's equivalent to running away from the truth. This weekend I did a little better. Which leads me to my second topic. For a couple of months now my husband has been practicing a semi-vegetarian lifestyle. I say semi because he has been eating fish. In addition to fish we have become big fans of Morning Star Farms.

If you've never tried Morning Star Farms you have to! Their products are soooo delicious! They have "chicken" nuggets and "chicken" patties that even a picky 5 year old little boy eats without question. They also make crumbles that look just like beef. I cook up the crumbles in olive oil with a little bit of garlic and then I add tomato sauce. Then I serve it over whole grain pasta. delicious! I still want to try the crumbles in taco sauce and I want to make tacos. They make another product similar to chicken strips that I cook up and I've added Alfredo sauce and I serve that over pasta too. The products are all soy based.

We've also become big fans of tofu at Asian restaurants, one restaurant in particular. We've been eating lunch a lot at Sawadee, a Thai restaurant on Weslayan, near Bellaire. I LOVE their tofu and eggplant in either sweet basil or kaffir lemon. (they call it lemon but according to wikipedia it's lime) Rey loves the tofu and broccoli in garlic sauce.

Long story short about this change in diet is that my husband, who has been sticking to it for two months now, has lost thirty pounds! YES! Thirty pounds from just cutting beef, chicken and pork out of his diet and practicing healthier choices. Amazing, I know.

I know that it's a smart choice, so now I'm trying to follow his lead. I say "trying" because he did take a short break this weekend when he received a delicious honey ham from his boss at work. We are getting back on track tomorrow.

So, tracking food, exercising and cutting beef, chicken and pork out of my diet. I can get all my protein from tofu and fish. I've been eating a lot of sushi too but without all the rice.

A new week, a new month this coming week. Let's try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment