Wednesday, December 30, 2009

In Search of Zumba


Zumba at Discovery Green Houston. Photo by Amanda Clark.

First of all, I'm sorry I haven't posted in over a week. I've been trying to balance life and whenever I'm working on balance I get off balance in another area. Crazy, I know! That's the challenge of trying to balance. It's like trying to balance a bunch of plates on your arms like a talented waiter, which I am not. You get a couple of plates just right and one will fall and crash to the ground.


This past week was busy with working out, the kids were out of school for winter break and my step-daughter Amanda was visiting. She came to visit for two weeks and while she was here she worked out at 24 Hour Fitness almost every single day. She also ate tofu with us and actually liked it! She didn't think she would but she had to agree that MorningStar Farms makes it really tasty.

The first week she was here she played basketball, swam, and used the elliptical machine or treadmill. The second week she was here I told her that they teach zumba classes at the gym. I remembered that she loves zumba because on one of her last visits we did zumba at Discovery Green, our downtown mini-Central Park.

I wish I'd remembered to tell her Sunday because we could have done the class on Monday at my gym. Tuesday we went to the Midtown 24 Hour Fitness, which is a really nice gym by the way! I have seriously been interested in checking it out and possibly upgrading my membership to use the Super Sport clubs, so we went there for the class. It was an OK class, fun, but not exceptional.

Wednesday we went to the Richmond location and that class was great. The teacher is really good and we really sweated. Totally worth the drive over there that day. This teacher did a great combination of salsa, merengue and middle eastern music. We did a lot of hip movement, reminiscent of an old belly dancing class I took back in 1993.

We had a lot of fun and my kids loved the kids' club. It has a wii! Wow! Very impressive. They recently renovated that location. It used to be a lot smaller. They added a pool, but surprisingly, not a basketball court.

I had a lot of fun with Mandi driving around town trying out different zumba classes. It made me want to try the class on Monday nights at my gym.

This is my week of vacation. I am trying to relax and to take it easy because I have a lot of stress in store when I get back to work. Stress I am not looking forward to, but that is inevitable. I will have to handle the stress while still keeping up the work out routine. It's all part of the balance!

No comments:

Post a Comment